Friday, 29 February 2008

*Phyllis Hammett

Phyllis Hammett

So early it's still almost dark out.
I'm near the window with coffee,
and the usual early morning stuff
that passes for thought.
When I see the boy and his friend
walking up the road
to deliver the newspaper.
They wear caps and sweaters,
and one boy has a bag over his shoulder.
They are so happy
they aren't saying anything, these boys.
I think if they could, they would take
each other's arm...
Such beauty that for a minute
death and ambition, even love, 
doesn't enter into this.
Happiness.  It comes on
unexpectedly.  And goes beyond, really, 
any early morning talk about it. 
 - Raymond Carver, from "Happiness"

Phyllis walks every day up the hill to the top of our street. 
She sits down for a while on my neighbours wall, 
stand up and shuffle back to her home. 
She always walks alone. Only she and her walking frame. 
Smiling. 
Sun, wind, snow. 
She walks.  
Even though I don't know her... seeing her shuffling,
sitting on the wall....touches my heart. 

"Happiness. It comes on unexpectedly." 

9 comments:

Joan said...

Oh my GOSH!!!

How incredibly beautiful you both are... that her daily ritual touches your heart, has in this moment, deeply touched mine.

I love you my linni girl...
sooooo much.

xoxoxo

Maithri said...

You touch my heart so softly,

Love and tenderness to you,

M

bella said...

Your heart is so open that the whole world is yours. To just see, notice, and allow ourselves to be affected, this is the gift.
YOU are a gift to me.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet thing. I have a similar lady here in my new home of Tampa. She shuffles down the street with her little weenie-dog, two times a day at exactly the same times. The constant of her presence is a joy i hadn't realized until you mentioned it...

madelyn said...

you just captured my heart
with this ~
how lovely and that photo is
just so beautiful:)

(warmest squishy hugs)

Chloe said...

Just lovely…both of you.

enchantedartist said...

This is such a lovel post! We have an elderly lady much like Phyllis,who is always walking through our town...It is so touching...and beautifully mysterious...the stories they could tell...

I love your soul-full photo of her...

xx

PixieDust said...

Awww... Phyllis has stolen my heart!

:-D

(((HUGS))),
Love,
Me

caroline : my pocket said...

how beautiful she is! that smile... touching me deeply.