Wednesday, 13 February 2008

Curing infertility*

Curing Infertility

We should go to the bedroom. 
You and your wife
should lie on the bed.
I will close the door
and play classical music.
Lights out.
You mustn't touch each other
and you mustn't move.
I want you both to stare
at an imaginary dot
on the other side of the ceiling.
Look up. Look through it.

Meanwhile in another room,
I will wear canvas pants
with only a string holding them up.
I will touch my toes ten times.
I will slowly do stretches,
breathing and thinking
about my childhood:
riding bikes, eating dinner.
I will remember a song
that I sang in a school play.
I will know all of the words.

I want you both to be thinking
about food. You should
try to imagine every single
year of your life,
what you ate that year,
what it tasted like.
I want you to think
about the major food groups.
Imagine vegetables.
Imagine Neanderthals eating
the marrow of lion bones.
Think about
how lion marrow tastes.
Start imagining recipes that
use lion marrow, a lion tooth broth,
frozen marrow on a stick.

When I come back
I will turn off the music
and turn on the lights.
I will ask you to hold hands
with each other

and get very close.

I will say, "Remember being a kid?"
In unison you will say, "I too was young."
I will say, "Remember eating?"
You will say "I grew from nothing."
I will say, "Eating is like giving birth."
You will say, "I too was born."

I will touch you both on the feet.
You'll get up and we'll walk outside.
It will be a humid day in early May.

Outside I'll say, "I've loved you two
for a long time and I've been
waiting my whole life to say this..."

You will be surprised but
you will say, "We have waited too."
And I'll say, "Not anymore."

2003 Peter Davis

I wish it was this easy.  

My little sis just phoned me. She said she and her husband decided a few weeks ago it is time to try for a little brother or sister for Morgan...they tried once...and she is pregnant. 

With little Morgan, she went off the pill on Xmas....and 3 weeks later she was pregnant. 

M3 and I have been trying for 8 years...and I thought I'm actually ok with where we are...the only way to describe how I'm feeling is to use the sea as an example. It is all calm and peaceful...the sun is shining..life is good...and then all of a sudden a huge wave come, and throw you over...the wave just hit! 

I don't know right now how to swim...xx


17 comments:

PixieDust said...

I'm swimming out to you now, mi Amor, I can't hand you the life line you want exactly, so I will paddle beside you, silent, but beside you until you catch your rhythm, the waves subside, and you can make it back to the shore...

thinking of you, hugging you, and loving you always...

Love,
Me

daisies said...

i have no words but i have love and warm hugs and when i see you this summer i will take all my virtual hugs and hold you in that warm embrace ...

Dean said...

HI, Terri just sent me over to read your blog, and I've arrived at a tender time. I've been through this with my sister and I know how it hurt her. I wish you peace.

I see you're coming over to my part of the world & T tells me you've worked here before? I'll read through some of your earlier blogs to get some background.

The weather is beautiful, sweltering actually, and looks likely to remain good for the next week.

I hope the trip will be a blessing and help you remember how to swim.

caroline : my pocket said...

I'm holding you, hugging you. It's safe to relax into that wave and just go with it. Let it take you where you need to go. I'm here if you need me. x

gem said...

holding you...holding you...holding you...i am.
xoxo,
gem

DeLi said...

Dear Peri,

your blog is one of the wonderful ,recent discovery i had. your words and picture are not only beuatiful, but moving with passion. it brings a tender, warm feeling in the reader in me...
im not that wise or have that years of experience in what you are going through, but with the lovely man beside, im sure you'll weather it through!

may you have a lovely hearts day.

-DeLi

terri said...

so sorry linni, and no words to help...listening and holding you here. these waves are so terrifying when they come from nowhere this way. you will come to the surface and inhale the air with a gulp. love to you...

Joan said...

I pray God gives you the deepest deire of your heart.

i love you.

African Blossom said...

Wishing I was there with you to hold you and just be there if you need someone to talk to.
So glad you are coming home to where your heart is, there are people here waiting to love you...

enchantedartist said...

I too, don't have any magic words, but I here your pain....love...love and hugs to you Lini...
Have a safe and loving journey home.

xx

Joan said...

Sending hugs and chocolate kisses all wrapped up in a warm coccoon of unending love...

May you find a heart filled with happiness today beautiful Linni...

Happy Valentines Day.

i love you sister friend.
xoxo

madelyn said...

i am going to paddle along beside
you and when the waves subside
we can go shopping together for
rubber duckies:)

(hugs)

bella said...

What a perfect metaphor, this being unmoored by a sudden wave and feeling you can't swim.
My heart aches for you.
sending love to you today.

Kirsten Michelle said...

i have no words, my lovely...
but i am here...
with arms wide open.
xo

Marilyn said...

Oh, Linni...all I can think to say is that I know a woman in blog-land...someone who was in pain over this for quite awhile...someone I've met in person...someone I've seen cry about this...and a year after I hugged her through her tears...she was holding her newborn. I truly believed it would happen for her in its right time...and I say the same to you... Blessings and much love to you. xoxo

di said...

so much of you here to get to know...
so hello.
first things first
will be (have been) here.

mccabe said...

you don't have to swim...
just float.

i am saying a
wish and prayer
for you right now.

love
mc x