When you don't have children, you tend to be asked to become 'godparents' quite often. Not always knowing...sitting tonight wondering what our 'duty' is towards these children?
For M3 and myself it is about loving these children with our whole hearts...to be in their lives...to participate in their every day living...most importantly just being there. But also to make them feel loved and treasured.
For me it is to send them real mail....there is just no other way to feel so special than receiving something in the mail. To make them feel treasured and loved as an individual. To make a fuss of them on their birthdays, when they start or finish school...to send good luck cards for exams...for me it is to just make a fuss about them in every possible way.
To develop their love for living, for nature, for art, for books, for being true to yourself. For loving our friends and family...but through it all to be true to who they know they are. To listen...to listen with them to the world...to listen to their words and hearts when words are lost...to be a shoulder to cry on...a friend...a safe place to fall.
From a financial view...to assist and help as far as possible to give each of these beauties the best opportunity to follow their dreams...and may they be wild and adventurous! To 'spoil' that little bit extra...if it is ok with their parents.
For me being a godmother is about loving...extra loving in every possible way! To make them feel and know what I only learned as an adult. To enjoy life...and to love themself just the way they are.
Kesmia
This is beautiful Kesmia. She is a little miracle, wanting to join us on earth on 28 weeks...and mommy (in the background) had to be hospitalized for the rest. She is 6 months old and jumping...loving....laughing...friendly...a real little sweetie pie! Kesmia's daddy and M3 are very good friends...and it is for us an honor to be her godparents.
Morgan
This little man is all that little boys are made of. He is...18 months old....cute, adorable, sweetie pie, climbing, jumping, falling, laughing, crying, throwing tantrums, clever, 'naughty', beautiful, intelligent, daring, courageous, absolutely adorable. This little guy's mommy is my little sis...think I'm going to steal him! xx
Beth
Beth is 20 years old and studying to become a primary teacher. She wants to specialize and work with hearing impaired children as she herself has a hearing impairment. She read lips and is everything a 20 year old are...gorgeous! beautiful! funky! independent, strong, deep thinking, creative, funny, moody, kind, loving and inspiring! Patient, alive! straight forward and honest.
She have not have an easy life, but through it all she rised above her circumstances and shone brightly! In her senior year she received the prize for the best and most creative art student. She was so surprised...and happy!
About 6 years ago M3 and I just adopted her as our godchild...to us she is everything we would love our daughter to be one day. She looks at M3 for advise regarding boys (just had her first heart break!). She texted us this past Saturday asking for pocket money to go to an art & musical festival... being really embarrassed but saying 'seeing as I am your child..' We laughed...and talked about her...and how she fill our hearts.
She and her mom have the most amazing relationship. They share everything. When she returns from a night out, she wakes her mom to tell her everything that he/she said...what happened and how it made her feel. She shares easily and trust with caution. She paint with her eyes closed...and love messy art.
Her room is a space where nothing fits but everything fits...and truly shows all the different aspects of her vibrant personality. She love anything butterfly! She love life!
We are humbled and blessed to be in the position to have an influence on their lives...their thoughts...their hearts. xx
PS: I think we 'stole' Beth as our own 6 years ago...:-)
14 comments:
What a loving and beautiful post! I know exactly how much other people's children can add to your life if you just open your heart to them. Now I'm off to buy cards & write letters to my three favorite people, my nephews ages 13, 10 & 10. Thanks for reminding me to take time to cherish them!
By the way thanks again for the lovely comment & link to the youtube video A hundred thousand angels . It was beautful!
what beautiful godparents you two must be ~ what a loving and sparkling post full of beauty and care, xoxoxo
I feel similarly about my godson--cards, and packages, and extra sweetness that spoils him in a way that I don't get to spoil my own children. Lovely read, happy to reconnect with your words.
Love...you ARE love! I am sure those children cherish having you and M3 as godparents, as much as you cherish them.
So beautiful....
xoxo
what a wonderful post.
Children are the best part of life.
I don't have godchildren, but I have several friends whose children call me Aunt Meg. If you count the technical nieces and nephews, I have 8. If you add up all the rest I have 12. :) It's great. I spoil each one as much as I can!!
xoxo
what strikes me most is the way you really see these kids and cherish them just the way they are. what a rare gift. i doubt you're being asked to play this role in the lives of these kids because you don't have any children of your own. my guess is that you'd the first person on many lists even if you had ten kids of your own. who better to love little kids without strings?
love this post! i am godmother to timmy, lauren and carlee...one of each of my sister's and brothers' children, and i cherish them as if they were my own. you have sparked me to write about these three special treasures meme style on my blog and i'll tag you when i do as the inspiration! my youngest gem is 11 now and we are meeting weekly for 'garnet mondays at ruby tuesdays' since we share a january birthday and a lot of each other's personality traits too ;) we get each other pretty well. love you linni. will take your thoughtful tips to make these precious ones feel as special as they are.
With all my heart I believe godchildren and godparents are truly a gift from God.
And Lynne?
How could you and M3 not be asked to be godparents! You have the hugest heart, the most beautiful spirit, and the essence of childlike wonder and deep deep caring that would have me wanting you to be the godmother of my children too :)
I bet there are not two more wonderful godparents on this entire Earth...
and I too agree that even if you had ten children of your own, I would still pick you first.
You are an incredible, incredible blessing to so many people... me included of course!
all, my love to you,
xoxoxo
And I am "stealing" you, too!
:-D
What lucky people to have you in their lives... I love the joy you all give to each other -
(((HUGS)))!
Love,
Me
what a bright loving light you
are in their lives ~ sharing
this exchange of deep love
is a gift:)
gorgeous photo's:)
this is a delightful post! I love that you adopted a god child. I think that this is the real essence of the term - you have chosen to be her family -
lovely!!!
Beautiful post! I adore my God child with all of my heart.
Thank-you for this!
My son's godparents sadly have not shared this view. We hear from them little and I wish more for Leo.
I have one god son and it is a truly a special relationship. I can't quite described the way I feel connected to him, how special he is to me. You have given me a vision of what I want to offer to him.
Post a Comment