I've been sitting around with 5 different posts in my head. When I want to write, I think it does not add value, then I leave it.
These posts were a few things that happened in my life, then the realization came, which I already knew. They also say that the realization can only happen when you already know it from within - which is fabulous! So here they go:
1. Living in another country is difficult for me. Not being surrounded by my family and friends, is difficult. I struggle. Moving here, I decided that I'm just going to breath through everything, in the end 'everything will be ok'. It does not feel ok. I'm coping, but I'm unhappy.
2. With breathing through everything, I have stopped living who I am. Everything happening with or around me, was thought of as a learning curve, something I needed to learn in my life. I'm impulsive from nature and love just getting up and doing things. I love talking and chatting and laughing, but since living here I've stopped doing any of it, because of fear of what people are going to think of me. They are different, I have to adapt to their way of living which is absolute kadoodles. I realised I've been stopping myself from expressing who I am, living what I believe in, stopping myself 'thinking i have to learn something'. You learn through doing and being..not by waiting and seeing. (aha!)
3. another post I was going to write would have started something like this:
'I'm quiet, but loud.
I'm reserved, but open.
I'm shy, but confident.
I'm a lover of people, but they have to reach out to me as well.
I'm consistently trying to please others, but really wanting to only please myself. (?)
I'm impulsive, but responsible.
I love to take care of people, but haven't done that in a year.
I'm a hard worker, but feel as if I have not done anything this past year.
I'm an avid reader of anything, but feel too guilty to sit down and read.
I'm constantly aware of the sacrifice we made to come here, continuously looking for what we are suppose to learn through all this.
I'm happily married, blessed to the ends of the world.
Within all these words I realised that I'm not living who I know I am. I'm constantly taking a step back, scared of stepping on anybodies toes. I'm tired of living like this. It's too much hard work.
4. My life came full-circle last Thursday evening. At college we had to divide into groups and do an exercise. You get a piece of paper with columns on with headings e.g. color, food, animal, furniture, vechile and you have to take your group members and write down the first thought of color that you associate A with. You also had to give reasons for you choice. This exercise was to hear how others see you.
K said for animal she chose parrot and monkey - my first thoughts were I talk too much! She explained she was looking for a animal that is free-spirited, then she thought of a bird flying, and which more beautiful bird to be than a parrot which is colorful and bright as well. The monkey was for always taking care of people xx. my eyes just welled up with tears, and I realised full circle!
Growing up I could never express who I was because I used to stutter so badly that I could not even say my name. I always had this idea in my head, this voice telling me who I am, but what other people said about me and how they reacted towards me, was something different. I remember thinking 'but that is not me, I don't do that'..but because I could not talk, I would just accept it and retrieve. Thinking everybody else must know better than myself. Still, my inner voice was much stronger and I knew I was different to what they thought.
Going to university when I was 19 was great. No-body knew me, nobody knew I stuttered, nobody had any expectations of me, I could just be myself. I'm proud to say I got my diploma with honors, I was the class representative of 300 students and I did not stutter once.
It was funny. When I was with my fellow students and friends, I could be me. When I was with my old school friends, relatives and family, the stutter returned. It was as if I lived 2 separate lives. Working in London in 1999 and 2000 brought back all the uncertainty and the stutter came back - because I wanted to impress people I don't even care about. In May 2001 we returned to South Africa and I decided I'm going to do what is going to make me happy and that is teaching. In 2003 I opened my nursery school (with the whole family against my idea!), but luckily I have some of my mom's stubbornness, and it is still today a successful story!
Ever since, I believe I have been true to myself in every way possible. When I'm with people who wants to be with me, I am me. I think I have to teach myself how to be myself with others as well.
Which brings me to the next post which was going to be something like this:
Jenny stops me in my tracks. I don't have anything to complain or moan about. I don't have anything to worry about. I have every possible reason to feel happy and great!
Jenny always stops me right in the mids of my thoughts...but I know that my feelings and thoughts and my life is real to me. Please pray for Jenny xx
Coming back to myself... even though I want to have all these attributes of friends, I know I am only myself. I may already have some of these qualities, but, thinking about the difficult road I walked within myself to be where I am today, (and of Jenny), I don't have time to waste trying to be someone I am not.
I am who I am.
I am living this wild and precious life I have.
I'm not waiting until we are back in SA.
I'm alive today.
I'm living now.
I know who I am.
I know what makes me happy.
I don't need anything else - I have everything right here, within my heart! xx
Happy living!
PS: With this post I'm honoring M3, for he has been next to me with every step of my journey, believing in who I am, in who I want to be. Trusting that I know myself, loving me for me. I love you!
17 comments:
What a beautiful insight into the real you. You are such a beautiful sparkling light...I so love visiting you here.
I know you have struggled in your past with people who never understood the real you, but you come shining through in this wonderful blog of yours.
I adore you xo
this was lovely and heartbreaking linni. i can't imagine anyone not loving you. your life sparkles out of every word you write, and draws me in. you have a gift for making others feel special and welcome and safe. be you. there's really no one else to be.
love you...
Transitions are always difficult no matter why we are making them...I came across this quote today and thought of your post. Substitute whatever makes you happy for "God" or leave it how it is! :) Thomas Keating, Trappist Monk and Writer, said "The greatest accomplishment in life is to be what we are, which is God's idea of what he wanted us to be when he brought us into being...Accepting that gift is accepting God's will for us, and in its acceptance is found the path to growth and fulfillment." That phrase "God's will" always brings to mind things like poverty or 40 years in the desert...but this way of looking at it really opened my mind. You already know who you are and you know how to be that person. This is just another opportunity for you to affirm your path and grow!
Absolutely beautiful, mi Amor, reaching into yourself so deeply and always sharing the gems that make you so wonderful, so lovely, and such a treasure...
Cheers to you and M3, honoring each other, loving each other, and making it work no matter where in the world you are.
(((HUGS))),
Love,
Me
Linni, I want to hug you. I want you to know that you're loved, whether you stutter or not. I want you to know that you only have to be yourself to find love. I want to touch you, to let you know that your words mean something, that they're worth something to me. You and M3 are amazing, you know.
this was so incredibly beautiful honey, the way you open yourself up and spill across the page and love so easily and give so lovingly :)
its funny because i was taken aback at your description of me as daring and colorful and then i thought about it and nodded yes, thanks for seeing me :) xo
I thought this was a beautiful, honoring post. I love how you honored your journey, your struggles, and your realizations. I also love how you honor the women who add to your life. This was a lovely post from a lovely, sweet spirit.
Lovely blog!
Sandra Evertson
(((hugs))) from afar. you're never far from my mind.
i wish you could see yourself through my eyes, my beautiful and inspiring and loving friend.
you are absolutely, positively, completely enough.
you are sunshine and sparkles.
you are lovely and loved...
so very, very loved!!!
xoxoxox
Hello Linni! I opened your blog this morning and saw it was a long one and waited to come back when I had some real time to read it - I knew it was going to be a good one! I think you are incredible, wonderful, smart, brave, caring, on and on...I too fall into the trap of caring too much what other people may think of me and I dislike it so much it makes me want to scream. Especially when I have my son and husband who think so much of me. Anyways, enough about me...what wonderful links you've included - looking forward to checking them out. xoxo - Rebekah
i identify with your analysis of behavior. I meet most of the criteria except for the marriage detail. Yet, in a way, since I am married to Christ, i in a way qualify.
your imagery and words are fantastic.
keep up the good writing. \\
mine is at www.scottrdavis.blogspot.com
scott
oh, linni. this post was so sweet and poetic and vulnerable and strong and real. i love the person you are. you strike me as someone who lives with her WHOLE HEART. and it is a beautiful, vibrant, full-coursing heart!
the story about how much more freedom you felt in college makes so much sense to me. i can also relate to going back to places where people knew the "old me," or rather their own image of me that they had in their head, and conforming back to that image, even if it isn't true or doesn't feel right inside. there's such a pressue inside in those situations, isn't there? i can really relate to that, and i just want to say that it's okay, linni. you are beautiful, just as you are, even in the places where you aren't what you wish you could be.
love you.
lovely insights especially at number 3...i love what you said here
Hi Linni, Thanks for the honesty of your writing. I really admire and appreciate that. You took 5 ideas, and put them down in one solid piece....and what you wrote was just beautiful. Keep finding and being and seeing yourself in the light of those who love you.
Linnea
I always love and appreciate how you are so wide open...brave!! This is what I aspire too...and I am searching for in myself...
You truly are such a beautiful soul!
Loving you from across the sea...
xo
no one wants you to be anything other than yourself. this is beautiful.
xoxo
Post a Comment