Friday, 14 March 2008

Touch*

for the past week i did not know what i wanted to write. There were so many emotions going through me, i thought it is better to be quiet and let it flow when i'm ready.

Receiving this very very big hug tonight, just openend my heart (thank you Pixie!) and this is what i'm feeling right now...and want to share.

After reading her beautiful words, my heart openend up and the love just flows. I searched for photos of hugs, and touch and comfort within my family photos and as you can see they are all of my brother, dad and M3. but in all of them the overpowering feeling for me is what you get of touch....love...security...happiness..comfort...a sense of belonging...healing...contentment....understanding...the 'oooeeehhhh I love you's'...and the I'm so happy you are here touch...

I'm sure that there are many many more...i also know that for some of us it is not that easy to touch...or receive touch...i respect that.

I've read this brilliant book and it confirmed to me that i'm a touchy-feely person. I love touch...and love touching those i care for.

In the book she says:
"In touching each other with love,
we are really touching God, and
it is only when we are touching
God that we are truly whole!"

I wrote M3 a letter a few days ago telling him why I love him...and one of the things was to be able to 'throw my legs 1 metre across the bed to his side..and feel his touch' (we have a kingsize bed...which sometimes feel like double kingsize)
Touching heals.
"they stayed until I had touched them on the back, or
sometime on the cheek. I decided touching must be
contagious. What a wonderful virus it is!"
"Our touch sense gives us our knowledge of depth, thickness,
and form; we feel, we love and hate, we are 'touchy' and
are touched through the touch corpuscles of our skin".
Touching is a beautiful, connecting, survival-oriented,
heart-opening act, & we need to do more of it.
Touch is powerful & strong

"We cannot loose by touching lovingly;
let us choose to hone this wonderful ability of ours by reaching out
to touch those we care about, those we love,
thereby drawing to ourselves the affection,
warm feelings and physical attention we need."
Please touch me
(a poem by Phyllis Davis)
If i'm your baby,
please touch me.
i need your touch in ways you may never know.
Don't just wash and diaper and feed me,
but rock me close, kiss my face and stroke my body.
your soothing, gentle touch says security and love.
if i'm your child,
please touch me.
though i may resist, even push you away,
persist; find ways to meet my needs.
your goodnight hug helps sweeten my dreams;
your daytime touching tells me how you really feel.
if i'm your teenager,
please touch me.
don't think because I'm almost grown,
i don't need to know that you still care.
i need your loving arms, i need a tender voice.
when the road gets rocky, then the child in me still needs.
if i'm your friend,
please touch me.
nothing lets me know you care like a warm embrace.
a healing touch when i'm depressed assures me i'm loved,
and reassures me that i'm not alone.
yours may be the only comforting touch i get.
if i'm your sexual partner,
please touch me.
you may think that your passion is enough,
but only your arms hold back my fears.
i need your tender reassuring touch,
to remind me i'm loved just because i am me.
if i'm your grown-up child,
please touch me.
though i may have a family of my own to hold,
i still need mommy's, daddy's arms when i hurt.
as a parent the view is different,
i appreciate you more.
if i'm your aging parent,
please touch me.
the way i was touched when i was very young.
hold my hand, sit close to me, give me strength,
and warm my tired body with your nearness.
although my skin is worn wrinkled, it loves to be stroked.
don't be afraid.
just touch me."
Are you afraid?
I would love to hear your feelings about the power of touch xx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post and what a better world this would be if we could hug first and get angry later. You have given me a wonderful goal for this weekend ...to see how many people I can hug....warm honest embraces.
A huge bear hug to you!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a certifiable touch JUNKIE. I love it, crave it, need it.

When I was little, my parents say I could "smell" hugs. That if they were cuddling or hugging, I would always show up saying "I smell a hug" and expect to be included before it ended.

When I was a teenager, and my family was going through stuff that made them not so touchy any more, I filled my needs in very unhealthy ways.

When I left college and moved to California, I moved in with a bunch of lovey hippies and had all my love cups filled every day.

Coming back to Alabama was weird at first. I'm the sort to hug you the first time I meet you. Polite southerners just don't do that. So I've learned to de-huggify myself. BUT I'm a massage therapist, so I get my nurturing needs out in a healing way for everyone.

Since moving to Florida, I haven't met any friends yet. So my poor husband is getting a little smothered. :)

enchantedartist said...

What a wonderful post! Growing up...my family was not touchy-feely at all. Reading this made me realize that I can only remember a handful of hugs.

My husband's family is the same way.

The funny thing is that he and I are full-fledged huggers(within our own little clan). We hug our kids...eachother...our dogs...with wild abandon.

I totally believe in the power of touch, and if I was there with you now, you'd be getting a big squishy bear hug!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, baby...I love hugs. To be touched. To touch.

I'll take a hug from you anytime :)

Hope you are well, and until we ever meet for that hug...here is a big one across the wires...

xoxo

caroline : my pocket said...

I'm definitely the touchy type too, my hands will let me know if I haven't filled their quota recently. Your hugs are wonderful, I want another one now... :) Your photos made me smile today, such warmth and joy. My dad is very huggy too, but my mum not so much. She tries though and then that hug is worth a lot. Our extended family all hug so get-togethers are wonderful. Sending a big hug your way, friend xoxo

PixieDust said...

All these words, every single sentiment was a (((HUG))) - I'm loving all of it, taking it to heart, and loving you all the more for your insight and beauty.

:-)

(((HUGS)))!!! - mmmmm!

Love,
Me

daisies said...

i am so all about the touch, hugs hugs and more hugs :) i love seeing these beautiful photos of love and touching, warm giving ... hugs from across the world until i can give you one in person, xoxox

bella said...

I don't think we are touched nearly enough.
It is healing and grounding and feels good and improves our health and comforts and calms and excites and embraces and soothes and says what words cannot.
I love the pictures of you with the people you love. The look in your face, it goes deep.