Tuesday, 1 April 2008

love after love*

The time will come
when, with elation, 
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror, 
and each will smile at the other's welcome

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was yourself.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has love you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes, 
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life. 
- Derek Walcott - 

23 comments:

Scott R. Davis said...

very good poem. a good reminder of taking time for oneself and allowing life to rest at a peaceful ebb and flow.

PixieDust said...

Lovely... just like you, mi Amor...

:-)

(((HUGS))),
Love,
Me

Jaime said...

Wonderful poem. What a perfect picture to illustrate such lovely words.
xo

Joan said...

You, my beautiful friend always make the feast so much more enjoyable...
some days you are quite simply my dessert cart!!!

I love this post, and love you more!!!

xoxo

WhimsicalBird said...

Beautiful!

"You will love again the stranger who was yourself." ~ This sits a little uneasy with me right now, thank you for exposing that.

Jaclyn

christianne said...

ooooh, linni . . . what a beautiful poem. i think i have seen it somewhere before, but i can't remember where. all of it is delicious. i want to eat it up. i think i will post it on my computer desktop.

love that picture, by the way!

enchantedartist said...

I found this to be such a powerful poem for me. How many of us have looked in the mirror to see a stranger at one time or another?

My time hasn't come...but it's close...I think.

Thank you for this my beautiful friend!
xoxo

di said...

wow...love this.

daisies said...

how beautiful honey, thank you for sharing ... xo

littlebyrd said...

I can't say it any better than enchantedartist did so I will just say thank you for a wonderful poem.

di said...

and so powerful this beautiful table image...imagining those parts of yourself so long hidden, banished, coming together, young and old, to sup at the table together ~ to listen and learn from one's reuniting self

Anonymous said...

This is utterly beautiful.xo

WhimsicalBird said...

I just wanted to pop in and say hope much I love this space as I've been exploring it quite a bit over the past few days.

Jaclyn

gem said...

let's feast together, dear pERiwINKle.
love,
gem

Scott R. Davis said...

thanks for visiting my site, www.scottrdavis.blogspot.com and commenting on my work so well. peace scott

Anonymous said...

that is one of my alltime favourite poems!

x

Joan said...

Okay beautiful girl...

question: When can we expect YOU to open an etsy shopfor your beautiful photographs? Hmmmm???

I have returned here again and again to just drink in this gorgeous photograph, sigh.

Thinking of you!!!

xoxoxo

bella said...

This is on my list of top ten favorite poems.
I keep it taped up on my cabinet, right above my coffee maker, where I see it every morning.
Thank-you for sharing it with me here. i take in the words all over again, hearing them new.

caroline : my pocket said...

Oh! I love this poem, so powerful. x

Bea said...

linni-

this is one of my all time favorites! i read it from "teaching with fire" a collection of poetry that i love. thanks for the reminder.

annie

Gill and Dave said...

Beautiful... What an amazing poem and such a stong reminder that we need to love ourselves for who we are. After all the person we spend the most amount of time with is ourselves..

Maithri said...

I've read this before...

But comin from your hand, and your heart....

It becomes all the more significant to me,

With love to you,

M

Sarah said...

Somehow I missed this...but I love it! Thanks, Linni.